Fortieth Annual Seminar
Originally Scheduled for March 15, Now in Webinar Format
Moderator: F. Peter Phillips (Moderator, The Wagner Blog)
Session 1: Monday June 29, 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- Hans Rudolf Vaget, Prof. Emeritus of German Studies, Smith College
“Der fliegende Holländer: The Jewish Connection: Wagner and Heinrich Heine”
- Peter Bloom, Prof. of Humanities, Emeritus, Smith College
“Der fliegende Holländer: The French Connection”
- Joe Pearce, President, Vocal Record Collectors Society
“Sentas: Known and Unknown” (with images; introduced by Mr. Pearce and Mr. Phillips. Registrants will receive Mr. Pearce's detailed notes on his selections after the event.)
- Addition to the Session 1 program! Interview with two cast members: Franz-Josef Selig (Daland) and David Portillo (Steersman). To be interviewed by F. Peter Phillips.
Session 2: Wed., July 1, 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- Victoria Bond, composer, conductor/music director
"Der fliegende Holländer: New Perspectives and Productions”
- Jeffrey Swann, Ph.D., Concert Pianist and Professor, NYU
“Wagner Discovers Beethoven: A new understanding, revolutionized in Der fliegende Holländer”
How to Join the Webinar: all participants who register will receive an email ahead of time containing the links to Sessions 1 and 2, and instructions on how to join.
Contributions to the Seminar/Webinar are voluntary, but the Society would appreciate your contributions. Suggested voluntary contribution amounts are below (covers both sessions).
IMPORTANT NOTE: if you wish to register without making a contribution, please CLICK HERE.