Building a Tiny House
||One Saturday per month May through October 2019, 9:00a.m.-4:00p.m.
First Class: Saturday, May 18, 2019
||WEI's Amador Hill Farm and Orchard
15715 River Road, North Branch, MN 55056
This class is SOLD OUT. To be added to a waiting list please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building a Tiny House
Ever thought about building your own tiny house and living in a home, mortgage free? This class is designed to teach beginning construction to registered students who will complete a six-month project to build a tiny (8’ x 12’) house with windows, doors, metal roof, and a loft, a home ready for electric and utility installations and possibly a compost toilet for future use.
Full Course Description:
The tiny-house movement is an architectural and social movement that advocates living simply and sustainably in very small homes. This class assumes no construction skills necessary. The instructor will start by helping you understand the tools and skills needed for this simple construction work and for the more complex work in building a tiny house. Power tools, hand tools, and repurposed materials will be provided by the instructor and WEI. The class will meet every third Saturday of the month, starting in May and ending in October. Learn what you need to know to build your home and live the dream of fewer possessions, minimal space, easy construction, and great savings.
1) Provide beginning constructions skills and familiarity with the tools needed for this construction project.
2) Provide a step-by-step construction manual and demonstration.
3) Complete the construction of a tiny house in 6 class meetings.
4) Provide a guided learning experience and individualized learning and skill building for each student
5) Familiarize students with the tiny house movement.
*Rain or Shine: class meets every third Saturday, May through October. 9:00-4:00 except
for the June class
- May 18:Tool Knowledge and Safety. Building a Platform
- June 22:Building the Walls
- July 20:Building the Roof Structure
- Aug 17:Fitting Windows and Roofing
- Sept. 22:Interior Work and Finishing Out, Painting
- Sept 28-29: Open for House Warming and Display at the Will Allen Farmer Training Weekend
- October 20: Tiny House Party
What to bring for each class:
- Bring your own lunch.
- Dress for the weather and working outdoors--wear layers of clothing
- Work gloves and work boots required
- Your own insect and tick repellant
- Be prepared to work in the woods
- If you bring your own tools, make sure you have ID on your tools (colorful duct tape and Sharpie market work well)
Kurt Naumann has 20 years’ experience in the construction industry. He is very skilled in all aspects of the construction trade and the use of any tools or equipment necessary for a building a small structure. He also has experience taking a project from market analysis, land acquisitions, product development, city approval process, construction financing, development, sales marketing, production, AR/AP, job cost control, and to closing documents... Kurt lives in Harris, MN at his family’s Leap of Faith Farm.