Mindfulness E.A.S.T (Emotional Awareness Skills Training)
E Neeche O Events
1821 NW 12th St,
Newcastle, OK 73065
Workshop will be led by Dave Smith, Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence Trainer and Karen Mannix, LPC, LADC
This training program integrates the practice of mindfulness and the science of emotion within the context of Emotional Intelligence. It provides didactic overview, theory and practice on core tenets of emotional awareness, emotional regulation, and constructive choices over behaviors and actions.
Mindfulness practices have exploded into the field of mental health over the last several years. They have been proven effective in reducing stress, anxiety, and impulse control. Despite the current trends and hype, mindfulness practice can also be limited if it does not have a specific focus or aim. Individuals who struggle with addictive behaviors typically have little or no emotional regulation strategies, this often is the culprit in relapse and reengagement with any destructive or addiction behaviors. When Mindfulness practice is aimed at the development of emotional regulation and ultimately emotional intelligence, individuals move through addiction recovery more progressively.
Event is sponsored by the Secular Dharma Foundation and Karen Mannix Counseling.
Participants will learn:
- The Basic Fundamentals of Mindfulness Practice
- The Four-Stage Model of Emotional Intelligence
- The Seven Universal Emotions, their functions, and physiological responses.
- Introduction to the Emotional Episode Timeline, created by Paul Ekman
- Participants will be able to find and place attention
- Participants will be able to identify the physiology of emotions
- Participants will be able to implement mindfulness tools to increase self-regulation
- Participants will understand the role and function of emotion within the context of evolutionary biology
Dave Smith is an internationally recognized Buddhist meditation teacher, addiction treatment specialist, and published author. His background is rooted in the Insight Meditation tradition and he was empowered to teach through the Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society. He has extensive experience bringing meditative interventions into jails, prisons, youth detention centers and addiction treatment facilities.
Dave teaches residential meditation retreats and classes, provides training and consulting in both secular and Buddhist contexts, and works with students through his meditation mentoring program. He recently founded the Secular Dharma Foundation and lives in Paonia, Colorado.